[PrivacyBadger] Pushing Privacy Badger's buttons, part 2

'Don Marti' dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Sep 12 09:13:08 PDT 2016

begin Mike O'Neill quotation of Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 03:21:22PM +0100:

> Hi Don,
>
> How does an extension check for it? Does it block the resource or clear the cookie?

That's the hard part.

I don't want to tell users who are already making an
effort (cookie management, double-keying, refusing
third-party cookies, or blocking entirely) to go do
something else.  It's just important to get people to
the point where they're not trackable across sites,
however that happens.

So you can avoid an Aloodo "tracking detected" by

 * blocking ad.aloodo.com (Disconnect)

 * refusing the third-party cookie (Apple Safari)

 * double-keying the cookie (AVG Crumble for Google
   Chrome)

 * clearing the cookie between sites (Self-Destructing
   Cookies for Firefox)

(For "cookie" add LocalStorage)

There are a lot of site-friendly policies, and it's
better to encourage experimentation than to tell
privacy people (who tend to be independent-minded) to
run a particular one.

I want people to say, oh, good, my favorite privacy
tool passes the test, therefore the test measures
something that matters.

> I looked at your blog post and there is (in ad.aloodo.com) a cookie name "site" value the parent site domain and a cookie named [ object Object] which looks like it’s a javascript error (you must be writing an object to document.cookie somewhere). Neither of them are high entropy so PB will not ordinarily see them as tracking (is that right Cooper?).

PB does pass the tracking protection test...

http://www.aloodo.org/test/

so the "site" cookie is high enough entropy by the time
it has 3 hostnames listed.

> I think it would be a good idea to come up with some standard cookie names. There is a proposal for an amendment to RFC 6265 for "well known" cookie names prefixed by "__" e.g. __Secure
>
> I suggested one (__DNT=0) to override DNT:1 for browsers that don't support the API. You could only declare "web wide" consent with that, and takes the pressure off them from implementing the API so it is not very useful and I am not pushing it. Cooper suggested a standard name for the advertiser's opt-out cookie which would be a good idea, but perhaps a distraction from them just respecting DNT
>
> How about __BlockMe?

The name and content of the cookie are subject to
change.  If I find that somebody is special-casing
test cookies I'll change it up a little.

> If you can return a Set-Cookie header  couldn't you also return Tk: D ?

The un-tracking pixel does.