[PrivacyBadger] Pushing Privacy Badger's buttons, part 2

Mike O'Neill michael.oneill at baycloud.com
Mon Sep 12 07:21:22 PDT 2016

Hi Don,

How does an extension check for it? Does it block the resource or clear the cookie?

I looked at your blog post and there is (in ad.aloodo.com) a cookie name "site" value the parent site domain and a cookie named [ object Object] which looks like it’s a javascript error (you must be writing an object to document.cookie somewhere). Neither of them are high entropy so PB will not ordinarily see them as tracking (is that right Cooper?).

I think it would be a good idea to come up with some standard cookie names. There is a proposal for an amendment to RFC 6265 for "well known" cookie names prefixed by "__" e.g. __Secure

I suggested one (__DNT=0) to override DNT:1 for browsers that don't support the API. You could only declare "web wide" consent with that, and takes the pressure off them from implementing the API so it is not very useful and I am not pushing it. Cooper suggested a standard name for the advertiser's opt-out cookie which would be a good idea, but perhaps a distraction from them just respecting DNT

How about __BlockMe?

If you can return a Set-Cookie header  couldn't you also return Tk: D ?

Mike