[Ow-tech] Open Secure Wireless discussion

Christopher Byrd chris at riosec.com
Mon May 26 22:22:37 PDT 2014

Previously I had tested modifications to the open source hostapd, and both
open source clients (wpa_supplicant) and closed source clients. Because it
had been some time since I last tested this, I recently performed updated
testing.

Hostapd (authentication server)
I was able to patch Hostapd and compile with modifications that cause
Hostapd not to require client authentication for EAP-TLS. This worked
successfully on the current trunk version of Hostapd.

wpa_supplicant (wireless supplicant)
I was able to patch wpa_supplication and compile to remove the if statement
that requires a client certificate to be present before attempting to
connect to a EAP-TLS network. I was able to connect from wpa_supplicant to
hostapd successfully without a client certificate configured in
wpa_supplicant.

Windows 8.1 update 1
I was able to connect from the latest version of Windows (8.1 update 1) to
the modified hostapd. Windows required me to manually configure the
wireless profile to select "smart card or other certificate", and required
that the user have a certificate prior to attempting to connect. However I
tested with a client certificate that was not trusted by the authentication
server, and the connection was successful.

iOS 7.1.1
I was able to connect from the latest version of iOS (7.1.1) to the
modified hostapd. iOS required that the user have a certificate prior to
attempting to connect. However I tested with a client certificate that was
not trusted by the authentication server, and the connection was successful.

If you'd like to try to replicate this yourself or test with additional
clients, you can patch hostapd using the method outlined in my article at
http://riosec.com/files/Open-Secure-Wireless.pdf. Please note that the file
name has changed to 'src/eap_server/eap_server_tls.c', otherwise the change
is the same.

Thanks,

Christopher
chris at riosec.com