[SSL Observatory] Making large scale TLS deployments easier, hiring technologists to work on the SSL Observatory

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Thu Nov 7 15:22:47 PST 2013

Two semi-OT things for people on this list:

1. EFF is launching another mailing list, which is intended to be a
forum for knowledge sharing amongst people trying to figure out how to
deploy TLS and other forms of crypto securely and at large scales.
("What kind of load balancers will terminate 100,000 TLS
connections/sec?" "How do I audit our properties for mixed content?"
"What resources will it take to enable perfect forward secrecy for a
large userbase?" "What kind of certs should I deploy for a large and
complicated set of services?  Is there a way to use SNI?" etc, etc).
The mailing list is intended primarily for people who work at large tech
companies that have complex scalability hurdles to overcome for
deploying crypto.  It will operate under Chatham House rules.

Hopefully this will be followed shortly by a wiki to publicly document
knoweldge coming out of this conversation.

2. EFF is hiring technologists at the moment.  If you're interested in
coming to hack on the observatory and related projects, let us know!

https://www.eff.org/opportunities/jobs/staff-technologist

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Technology Projects Director      Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131