[SSL Observatory] New bad Google MITM cert

Seth Schoen schoen at eff.org
Sat Dec 7 14:05:56 PST 2013

http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2013/12/further-improving-digital-certificate.html

They caught it with pinning.  I wonder if we have a sample; it sounds
like it was an extremely small-scale attack (a single organization got
an intermediate chaining to a publicly-trusted root in order to spy on
employees with its firewall?).  If that was the entire scope of it,
it's relatively unlikely that anyone in that organization is sending
observations to us, maybe depending on how large the organization is
and whether they prevent desktop users from installing third-party
software.

--
Seth Schoen  <schoen at eff.org>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/