[SSL Observatory] public TLS/SSL test server ?

=JeffH Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com
Fri May 18 21:03:35 PDT 2012

 > As part of Jeff Jarmoc's research on SSL Interception Proxies[0] he's
 > set up some of these tests at https://ssltest.offenseindepth.com/ to
 > test if an interception proxy was accepting certs it shouldn't.
 >
 > [0] http://www.secureworks.com/research/threats/transitive-trust/

cool, thanks for the pointer, that server is fairly far along the lines of what
I was wondering about. Although it is intended to be used to test TLS/SSL
intercepting proxies, it's useful for direct TLS/SSL testing.

If one dissects the index.html file, one finds these particular URIs to use to
test specific failure modes..

   https://badcn.offenseindepth.com

   https://unknownca.offenseindepth.com

   https://selfsigned.offenseindepth.com

   https://expired.offenseindepth.com

   https://basicconstraints.offenseindepth.com

   https://revoked.offenseindepth.com

   https://nullchar.offenseindepth.com

AFAICT, there are not examples of some of the other issues potential issues..

   unavailable CRL or OCSP

   transvalid cert

   factorizable public key

Are there also yet more issues that'd be good to test for?

thanks,

=JeffH