[SSL Observatory] https://controller.mobile.lan

Dean Coclin dean.j.coclin at verizon.net
Mon Feb 6 18:19:09 PST 2012

This is Dean from Symantec. I'd like to offer the following with regard to
your question about this certificate:

This is a legitimate certificate that VeriSign issued to Securepoint for
their Network Access Controller (NAC). See
http://download.securepoint.de/files/Handbuecher/NAC/NAC_Common_Delegated_Ad
ministration_Guide.pdf

Customers have approached VeriSign with a similar need: they produce an app
or appliance that is to be deployed in their customer's network, and they
want out-of-the-box SSL certificate protection. Since they cannot know in
advance what will be the host name that their customer will provide for the
app or appliance (and they don't wish to burden their customer with the task
of generating and
installing an SSL certificate after installation), they purchase an SSL
certificate for an internal-only domain name, and deploy the same private
key and certificate in each app or appliance.

As was pointed out, this cert was issued in 2010. The CAB Forum has
addressed the issuance of SSL certs to non FQDNs in the baseline
requirements which were recently adopted.

Dean Coclin