[SSL Observatory] Batch gcd

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Sat Dec 29 10:22:09 PST 2012

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 02:46:44AM -0800, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 11:22:35AM +0100, Hanno Böck wrote:
> > In a talk on #29c3 Dan Bernstein describes an algorithm to break weak
>
> Actually the bad-rng work came from Nadia Heninger.  Dan co-presented
> some related work in the "real world factorization" session at 29c3.
> (The three presenters, also including Tanja Lange, traded off the mic a
> lot so it was sometimes hard to tell whose work was being presented.)

Simultaneous, independent versions of this attack were found by Nadia and her
coauthors, and by Arjen Lenstra and a team at EFPL, who used a (still
unpublished, unfortunately) centralised SSL Observatory scan.

Based on data from both teams, the Decentralized SSL Observatory should issue
warnings if your browser accepts one of these known-factorisable keys,
although we don't have a realtime gcd pipeline at this point.

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Technology Projects Director      Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131