[SSL Observatory] Tangent - coercibility of different authority structures

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Sep 26 07:12:47 PDT 2011

On 09/26/2011 02:22 AM, Matt McCutchen wrote:

> I appreciate your intentions of providing distributed control through
> multiple CAs.  But as long as the system is structured as a disjunction,
> all it provides is increased attack surface, some of which may lie right
> in the countries in question.  Do you propose to change that?

The disjunction you're talking about is one of the root causes of the
problematic incentives of our current situation.  I think it's due to
the fact that X.509 is structured in such a way as to require exactly
one issuer per cert.

However, there are already multiple projects in place that use
distributed (multi-authority) models that do not force reliance such a
disjunction.

The Monkeysphere project (i contribute to it) applies the OpenPGP "trust
model" to https (and other) authentication, allowing corroborative
authentication:

  http://web.monkeysphere.info/

There's nothing stopping an existing CA from issuing OpenPGP
certifications alongside their X.509 certifications.  This would break
the existing lock-in arrangement for users, browsers, and site
operators, which would mean that bad CAs would be easier to remove.

The Convergence and Perspectives projects provide non-disjunction
operation by aggregating results from multiple notaries across the
network.  I think there are problems with this approach (real-time
notaries on the public network leave the relying party subject to
physical compromise of the peer; they also can't cope with hosts inside
firewalled networks).  Still, they manage to neatly avoid the
problematic centralization of DNSSEC and the problematic disjunction of
the X.509 model.

  http://convergence.io/

Regards,

	--dkg