[SSL Observatory] Diginotar broken arrow as a tour-de-force of PKI fail

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Sep 10 01:24:25 PDT 2011

Rob Stradling <rob.stradling at comodo.com> writes:

>One man's "blatant violation" is another man's "profile" [1].  :-)

It'll be interesting to see how PKIX reacts to this, since their WG chair has
said repeatedly that PKIX defines reality, reality does not define PKIX.  I
guess now we'll get to see what happens when some hard reality runs into PKIX.

>If it's not been done already, it might be an interesting exercise to write
>an I-D called something like "The Hardened OCSP Profile for the Internet".

Some of this stuff is exactly what was proposed more than a decade ago, and
repeatedly rejected by PKIX.  In any case though this isn't going to come
close to fixing OCSP.  See the rest of my earlier response, since it's
multiple-redundant broken, by design, if you fix one part all it'll mean is
that someone wanting to bypass it can exploit another part (they did a pretty
good job in that respect, there's no way to fix it by changing just one or two
parts).  At best this protocol variant (not a profile, see below) is going to
create an illusion of fixing it ("we changed some bits, it's OK now").  It
needs to be replaced with a properly-designed mechanism that actually works.

>Here are a few of the "blatant violations" of RFC2560 that are present in
>RFC5019 (The Lightweight OCSP Profile for High-Volume Environments):

They're not violations in any way, they're a pure profile.  So while the
original says "you can do any of X, Y, Z", RFC50919 (and profiles in general)
say "for the purposes of this profile you can only do X".  Every example you
give of a "violation" is a case of this.  The main PKIX RFC itself is a
profile of X.509, so X.509 will say "you can do X, Y, Z" and the PKIX version
will say "you can only do X" (with the implication being the Y and Z are
unnecessary or irrelevant).

Oh the other hand what you're proposing is a complete change in behaviour for
OCSP and the addition of new extensions to the protocol.  That's not a profile
any more, that's a new version (or variant) of OCSP.

Peter.