[SSL Observatory] Diginotar broken arrow as a tour-de-force of PKI fail

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Sep 6 00:12:19 PDT 2011

Erwann ABALEA <erwann at abalea.com> writes:

>But the client can include a nonce in the request and compare it with the
>response

The response will come back without the nonce.  That was Verisign's
"performance optimisation" (since copied by other CAs).

>And if it doesn't fit the client request, or not within the client "good
>timeframe", this response will be discarded. Then, depending on the client,
>this will be a hard fail, or a switch to CRLs.

This relies on synchronised clocks between client and server, which is often
not the case (there have been various informal studies by web sites on how
out-of-sync client PC clocks are, I can dig up some refs if required, but in
practice clocks are all over the place).  In addition the SSL handshake
advertises how out-of-sync the client's clock is in the first message it
sends, so an attacker can use that to see which stale response to replay.

Peter.