[SSL Observatory] Diginotar broken arrow as a tour-de-force of PKI fail

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 5 20:04:31 PDT 2011

Larry Seltzer <larry at larryseltzer.com> writes:

>>Since you can't directly invalidate an unknown cert, the only way to do it
>>is pull the root.
>
>The whitelist I was referring to was the trusted root collection. Isn't this
>a whitelist?

We're going round in circles here.  Let me try again:

1. Iranians[0] compromise Verisign and issue themselves a cert with it.

2. Since it wasn't an official cert issue, there's no record of it existing.

How do you propose to invalidate the cert?

Peter.

[0] I was going to say "hackers" but "Iranians" comes with a good track record
    :-).