[SSL Observatory] More recent observatory data ? DigiNotar.nl ?

Ralph Holz holz at net.in.tum.de
Mon Sep 5 09:53:50 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 09/02/2011 10:09 PM, =JeffH wrote:

> What's the most recent data you have available?
>
> Have you done any poking about your data from the last 2..3 months of
> 2011 to see if there's any forged/fraudulent certs issued by
> DigiNotar.nl in there ?

We have some recent data from a scan of the Alexa Top1M, and some from a
monitoring run we conducted here at a regional ISP here in Munich in
April 2011.

The scan (conducted from Munich, too) found ILIKE '%DigiNotar%' as
issuer in certs on 61 hosts, and 55 hosts for '%Overheid%' (might have
overlap, and I did not identify the issuer very precisely) [1].

The monitoring run yielded 23 occasions where DigiNotar-issued certs
were found in the chains, and 25 for Overheid. [2] As monitoring tends
to detect better what users actually do use (as opposed to what's
deployed), DigiNotar seems not to have been a large player, ever.

Of course, what I would love to do is scan from Iran... (we did scan
from China and a few other places once, but it was not too exciting).

[1] http://www.meleeisland.de/diginotar_scan_hosts_jul2011.csv

[2] We're subject to strict privacy laws here, and I am not sure if
giving you the subjects and CNs would be a violation - but they were all
.nl.

Regards,
Ralph

--