[SSL Observatory] Diginotar broken arrow as a tour-de-force of PKI fail

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Sun Sep 4 10:45:14 PDT 2011

On 09/04/2011 08:15 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> [Sent to three lists from which input would be useful, please trim followups
>  if you feel it's off-topic]
>
> I was reading through the various summaries of the Diginotar broken arrow
> yesterday and realised that it's a pretty comprehensive tour de force of every
> piece of PKI brokenness that people have been warning about for the past ten
> to fifteen years.  Almost everything in it would have been entirely avoidable
> if PKI were less driven by religious dogma and more by good, solid security
> engineering.  Here are some of the cases that spring to mind:

Hi Peter,

I've just disclosed a list of currently known sites, serials, CNs, etc
as sent to me by the Dutch Government.

Here's a blog post about it:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/diginotar-damage-disclosure

Here are the files with more raw information:
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/projects/misc/diginotar/rogue-certs-2011-09-04.xlsx
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/projects/misc/diginotar/rogue-certs-2011-09-04.csv

All the best,
Jacob