[SSL Observatory] certificates for .local names [was: Re: DFN and subordinate CA domain-scoped whitelists]

Ben Wilson ben at digicert.com
Fri Nov 11 09:04:19 PST 2011

Maybe "the Cause" needs to be taken up in academia, if it isn't already.
There are serious problems with the ecosystem and empirical studies and
models for the security infrastructure need further architecting.  For
instance, the EFF's Observatory, Phillip's criticism of the CA data, and the
demands from academia and local, regional and national governments for
publicly trusted roots leads me to think that "the problem" - if it is one -
is only going to grow.  I think more studies need to be done.