[SSL Observatory] certificates for .local names [was: Re: DFN and subordinate CA domain-scoped whitelists]

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 09:14:32 PST 2011

Yes, the world does have more things than browsers and I strongly suspect
that most of the applications driving the bizarre demand for 512 bit certs
will turn out to be that type of application.

But the primary responsibility for choice of crypto algorithm and strength
has always rested with the application developer. I have no control over
whether an application uses IDEA or DES or AES. Why expect me to
be responsible for your choice of public key strength?

Relying applications should reject cert chains with a key strength of less
than 1024 bits and they should ideally have code in there to disable use of
cert chains with a key strength of less than 2048 past some drop-dead date
in the hopefully not to distant future and reject SHA-1 certs at some point
as well.

I am quite happy to contribute to the industry effort to inform people on
best practices. What I will not accept is your attempt to lay the blame for
every fault you see in the use of crypto at my door. All that the CA does
is to make statements about the holder of a private key corresponding to a
public key. Relying parties can see for themselves that the public key is
weak.

The reason that I do not want to take responsibility for this is that I can
only control the certs that I issue. The only way to make the Internet
safer is for application software to stop accepting use of bad
cryptography. I want to see platforms stop supporting use of MD4, MD5 and
all the rest of the obsolete junk crypto in their platforms. That is going
to cause existing code to break so they are going to be very reluctant to
do it.

I do not accept responsibility for changes that I don't have the power to
enforce. If the industry wants to make me crypto algorithms Tzar and allow
me to pick algorithms for them then I will. But I can't accept primary
responsibility otherwise.

If we want to make constructive progress on this we need to have an
industry discussion and make a decision as an industry to move forward.
There are two forums where such a discussion could take place. One is IETF
and the other is CA-Browser forum.

For all the faults you see in the SSL/CA system the fact is that it is the
only application of public key cryptography that has been successful on the
Internet. Actual use of S/MIME, PGP and IPSEC remains negligible.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/