[SSL Observatory] DFN and subordinate CA domain-scoped whitelists

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 08:34:17 PST 2011

Actually I had just done so above.

The problem with hotlists is that they assume a much higher level of
cultural awareness than may exist. So part of the reason for having CAA is
to do away with hotlists. So this is another area where maybe some hotlist
functionality is required. Can it be brought in scope of CAA? Perhaps even
just as a 'don't issue these automatically, take a second look'.

The problem with local as I see it is:

1) People need certs to do SSL
2) People want to do SSL on their .local hosts

If we want a prohibition to stick we should maybe consider how we would
want .local to be handled in a way that allows use of crypto but does not
give false security indicators?

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/