[SSL Observatory] DFN and subordinate CA domain-scoped whitelists [was: Perspectives on Convergence of EFF, EPIC, SSL, TOR, NSA, ET CETERA]

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 07:20:14 PST 2011

Is this an issue that we should address in CAA?

At the moment twitter.com can say 'only issue certs for me if you are my
authorized CA'.

Do we want to go further there? Can we?

Should the owner of example.com be able to state 'hey I am a very sensitive
domain, you should hotlist me?'

This issue is easy to spot when we are talking about twitter.com. Much
harder when we are talking about xn--wi99ciwisk.cn

I am not sure that owning example.com should allow someone to establish a
prohibition issue of certs to example.com.**.com. But it might be something
that public CAs should maybe throw up a manual processing flag for.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/