[SSL Observatory] Perspectives on Convergence of EFF, EPIC, SSL, TOR, NSA, ET CETERA

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Sun Nov 6 10:49:04 PST 2011

On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 12:51:11AM +0100, Erwann ABALEA wrote:

> In practice, you can only register root CAs into browsers, and you're
> strongly advised to *not* issue certificates directly under the root,
> like it was the case some years ago with the big CA vendors selling
> X.509v1 certificates. So a company acting as a CA has at least one
> root CA,

There are certainly some companies that act as CAs that are "only"
subordinate/intermediate CAs.  We know this with a fair degree of certainty,
because companies that operate root CAs have asked us, "can you use the
Observatory to tell us what this company we issued a sub-CA to has been
signing with it?".

> and then several sub-CAs (for EV, OV, DV, Test, S/MIME, code
> signing, timestamping, ...).

> Add to this imposed segmentation some levels (for example in Europe, we have
> qualified certificates,

Do you mean the X509v3 Name Constraints field?  We only saw two CAs that used
that  (https://mail1.eff.org/pipermail/observatory/2011-April/000206.html)

> and in France we have other "France-only" rules).  Those CA certificates can
> be counted as different CAs if you stick to pure X.509 rules, but they are
> all held by the same one company, and operated by the same people, only
> applying different validation rules. Does that still count as so many CAs? I
> doubt so.

The 650 number came from the number of distinct values for the "Organization"
field in the DN.  We saw more than 1500 CA certificates, and around 1200
DNs.

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Technology Projects Director      Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131