[SSL Observatory] Perspectives on Convergence of EFF, EPIC, SSL, TOR, NSA, ET CETERA

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 08:35:52 PDT 2011

This was my understanding and I raised it with EFF many months ago.

EFF is making a positive claim here. They are asserting that all 200 of
those LRAs are functional CA equivalents that can issue a cert for (say)
twitter.com.

The most that can be supported by the evidence they have is that we do not
know if those LRAs have that capability or not. Note that that is a
completely valid criticism and one that we are already moving to address.

But that is not the claim being advanced by the EFF 'THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN,
BROKEN I TELL YOU, SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY POINTS OF VULNERABILITY'.

The claim made is just not true.

This industry and this system is a lot more complex than some of you give
us credit for. There is a problem in that for the past fifteen years it has
been operated on the basis of controlling commercial risk. It has not faced
attack by nation state level adversaries until this year.

If you want to be constructive then you have to be accurate in your
criticisms.

It does not help to run round accusing us of being uninterested in
security, only motivated by profit, a fraud etc. etc.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/