[SSL Observatory] Perspectives on Convergence of EFF, EPIC, SSL, TOR, NSA, ET CETERA

Matthias Hunstock matthias.hunstock at tu-ilmenau.de
Fri Nov 4 19:34:20 PDT 2011

Am 05.11.2011 01:42, schrieb Peter Eckersley:

> In the case of the DFN subordinate that we observed beneath Deutsch Telekom's
> root, my best estimate is that the private keys for its sub-CAs are
> physically controlled by DFN (ie, only one place you could steal those private
> keys from), but what they sign is determined remotely on computers at the 200
> institutions named in these CAs

It is not "determined" remotely what is being signed. A computer at one
of the institutions can only "request" something to be signed, but of
course there are controls in place. Among other things the certificate
requests are filtered against a per-institution domain whitelist, where
new entries are manually approved by DFN.

So there is hardly any difference to a simple, paying customer of any
commercial CA from a security point of view.