[SSL Observatory] Perspectives on Convergence of EFF, EPIC, SSL, TOR, NSA, ET CETERA

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 19:16:00 PDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:

> On 11/03/2011 05:27 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> > People who throw stones...
> >
> > Seems to me that EFF and Moxie have been holding everyone else to a
> certain
> > standard these past few months.
> >
> > I don't think that either would accept 'recognized and acknowledged' as
> an
> > excuse.
> >

> > In the case of Convergence the site does not say a blessed thing about
> the
> > proposal. Not a squeak, not a sausage. It is pure marketing glitz with
> > fancy graphics but no substance.
> >

> If someone is going to accuse an open source project of being a backdoor
> they could at least link to the offending code.

If someone is going to claim that there are '650 CAs' then they could at
least ask why the DFN root has 200 intermediates chained and if they are
actually CAs as being claimed.

EFF has been mighty economical with the truth of late. I have been pretty
sick of it to tell the truth. The 650 CAs claim was garbage, they know it
is garbage but you keep on repeating it to the press as fact.

Well now they are having problems being believed and I am afraid that I
can't actually vouch for their honesty any more.

> This rumor is a bunch of bullshit and I can't believe it spilled onto
> this list too.

The Iranian government runs a Warez site filled with all sorts of software
that is not legally for sale in Iran.

It is all free and all larded up with backdoors.

So I would not discount the possibility of there being IRG versions of Tor
in circulation. In fact it seems rather likely that they have done that
already.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/