[SSL Observatory] Which CAs will issue a wildcard cert that also has Subject Alternative Names?

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri May 6 00:18:42 PDT 2011

Recently someone in charge of a fairly large HTTPS deployment complained to me
that he couldn't find a CA that would sell him a cert that simultaneously did
wildcards and SANs.  I realised the Observatory was a decent way to work out
where to go shopping (the answer seemed to be, start with DigiCert and
StartCom, but there are other options).

SELECT Issuer, count(*) AS c
FROM   valid_certs
WHERE  `ext:X509v3 Subject Alternative Name` REGEXP "DNS.*DNS.*DNS"
  AND  LOCATE("CN=*", Subject)
GROUP  BY Issuer
ORDER  BY c desc;
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+------+
| Issuer                                                                                                                                                                                  | c    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+------+
|  C=US, O=DigiCert Inc, OU=www.digicert.com, CN=DigiCert High Assurance CA-3                                                                                                             | 3523 |
|  C=US, O=DigiCert Inc, OU=www.digicert.com, CN=DigiCert Global CA                                                                                                                       | 1052 |
|  C=US, O=DigiCert Inc, OU=www.digicert.com, CN=DigiCert Global CA (2048)                                                                                                                |  197 |
|  C=IL, O=StartCom Ltd., OU=Secure Digital Certificate Signing, CN=StartCom Class 2 Primary Intermediate Server CA                                                                       |  144 |
|  OU=Organization Validation CA, O=GlobalSign, CN=GlobalSign Organization Validation CA                                                                                                  |   45 |
|  C=GB, ST=Greater Manchester, L=Salford, O=Comodo CA Limited, CN=PositiveSSL CA                                                                                                         |   16 |
|  C=BE, OU=Domain Validation CA, O=GlobalSign nv-sa, CN=GlobalSign Domain Validation CA                                                                                                  |   16 |
|  C=US, ST=UT, L=Salt Lake City, O=The USERTRUST Network, OU=http://www.usertrust.com, CN=UTN-USERFirst-Hardware                                                                         |   11 |
|  DC=com, DC=microsoft, DC=corp, DC=redmond, CN=Microsoft Secure Server Authority                                                                                                        |   10 |
|  O=Cybertrust Inc, CN=Cybertrust SureServer Standard Validation CA                                                                                                                      |    7 |
|  O=Dell Inc., OU=Information Technology, CN=Dell Inc. Enterprise Issuing CA3                                                                                                            |    6 |
|  C=US, O=Google Inc, CN=Google Internet Authority                                                                                                                                       |    5 |
|  C=US, ST=Arizona, L=Scottsdale, O=GoDaddy.com, Inc., OU=http://certificates.godaddy.com/repository, CN=Go Daddy Secure Certification Authority/serialNumber=07969287                   |    5 |
|  C=GB, ST=Greater Manchester, L=Salford, O=COMODO CA Limited, CN=COMODO High Assurance Secure Server CA                                                                                 |    4 |
|  C=US, O=Bechtel Corporation, OU=Information Security, CN=Bechtel External iBechtel CA 1                                                                                                |    4 |
|  C=US, O=Equifax, OU=Equifax Secure Certificate Authority                                                                                                                               |    3 |
|  C=US, ST=Arizona, L=Scottsdale, O=Starfield Technologies, Inc., OU=http://certificates.starfieldtech.com/repository, CN=Starfield Secure Certification Authority/serialNumber=10688435 |    3 |
|  C=IL, O=StartCom Ltd., OU=Secure Digital Certificate Signing, CN=StartCom Class 3 Primary Intermediate Server CA                                                                       |    3 |
|  C=AU, O=AusCERT, OU=Certificate Services, CN=AusCERT Server CA                                                                                                                         |    2 |
|  C=US, ST=UT, L=Salt Lake City, O=The USERTRUST Network, CN=USERTrust Legacy Secure Server CA                                                                                           |    1 |
|  C=PT, O=Saphety, CN=Saphety Server 01                                                                                                                                                  |    1 |
|  O=RSA Security Inc., OU=KCA Services, CN=RSA Corporate Server CA, L=Bedford, ST=Massachusetts, C=US                                                                                    |    1 |
|  C=HU, L=Budapest, O=NetLock Halozatbiztonsagi Kft., OU=Tanusitvanykiadok, CN=NetLock Expressz (Class C) Tanusitvanykiado                                                               |    1 |
|  C=NL, O=TERENA, CN=TERENA SSL CA                                                                                                                                                       |    1 |
|  C=FI, O=Sonera, CN=Sonera Class2 CA                                                                                                                                                    |    1 |
|  C=US, O=SecureTrust Corporation, CN=SecureTrust CA                                                                                                                                     |    1 |
|  C=BE, O=Certipost s.a./n.v., CN=Certipost E-Trust Secondary Normalised CA for SSL and Code                                                                                             |    1 |

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Senior Staff Technologist         Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131