[SSL Observatory] Number of CAs

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 05:44:28 PST 2011

As with a previous proposal, there are two ways that 'CA redundancy' can be
interpreted:

1) Client can take a certificate from either CA.
2) Both CA certificates must be valid.

add in the single CA case as case 0 and we get

Single point of failure, failure to issue

Case 0: Fail (closed)
Case 1: Success
Case 2: Fail (closed)

Single point of failure, issue of false cert

Case 0: Fail (open)
Case 1: Fail (open)
Case 2: Fail (closed)

If you add in a three CA option with voting you can get to success in both
cases. But otherwise having the multiple CA check does not  provide much of
a benefit.

Three CA certs does not look likely to be a compelling business case when
dealing with commercial risk. Which is a real shame from my standpoint. I
am more than happy to tell my CEO that we need to triple demand for certs.
But I don't think I can sell that to customers.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/