[SSL Observatory] Number of CAs

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 13:01:10 PST 2011

The number of bits on a root key matters less than might be imagined. It is complex.

First, what NIST said about RSA1024 was to stop using it for confidentiality of stored data. Your email sent under RSA 1024 today will be around for 20 years or more. It is highky unlikely anyone will be able to break that key in ten years, but twenty is a much bigger worry.

The root keys in a particular browser change over time. A given end entity cert can be val idated under multiple trust paths. But your browser will only show one. If you have a 1024 bit cert in your browser, it may show it even though there is also a 2048 bit path.

The industry is moving away from short key RSA. The first and most important step being to require 2048 bit keys for ee certs and to deploy 2048 bit roots.

Removing support for the 1024 bit validation path is desirable from a cryptographic security point of view but will break legacy browsers. That is a step that obviously needs to happen before factoring RSA1024 becomes practical, but does not need a twenty year safety margin.

I see no evidence that the current parameters should give cause for concern. I asked Adi Shamir whether faster action was merited at RSA this year and he said not.

If the situation changes we can revise the strategy and force users to incur the transition costs. But I suspect that a change that forces the security of RSA 1024 to be radically revised is likely to impact longer key lengths as well.

Sent from my iPad