[SSL Observatory] TLS 1.1/1.2 support

Ivan Ristic ivan.ristic at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 23:45:04 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Larry Seltzer <larry at larryseltzer.com> wrote:
> From the presentation: "Lack of support for TLS v1.1 and v1.2 is a
> cause for concern"
>
> Why? It looks like very few people care.

I am concerned because -- judging from the pace of the renegotiation
patching -- it takes 1-2 years for most people to path their TLS
stacks. Deploying workarounds or reconfiguring is _much_ faster. Thus
I think it's overall safer to be working with protocols that provide
support for a more diverse set of primitives.

> BTW, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 support it out of the box on
> the client side, but would it necessarily follow that IIS supports it
> as a server?

AFAIK, Windows Server supports TLS 1.2, but it won't speak it by
default. It needs to be explicitly told to use it.

--
Ivan Ristić