[SSL Observatory] offtopic: sites with client certificate authentication

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Aug 15 20:08:56 PDT 2011

Erwann Abalea <eabalea at gmail.com> writes:

>Starting in 2001, up to 2008, in France, we had to authenticate using a
>certificate in order to electronically declare our income tax (it was also
>digitally signed by this certificate). It has changed to login/password
>since.

Is there any more information available on this, e.g. discussion of user
reactions, and why it was abandoned, case-study style material?  The tax
department tried the same thing over here years ago, but the reaction from
users was so profoundly negative that it was never moved out of the pilot
stage.

Peter.