[SSL Observatory] Ubiquitous usage of non-ephemeral keys

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Wed Apr 6 21:03:15 PDT 2011

ArkanoiD <ark at eltex.net> writes:

>Are we really sure it is ok that anyone who got possession of expired server
>private key can decipher any old capured SSL traffic?

WYTM?  ("What's your threat model").  This requires that someone, somewhere,
is saving off gigabytes? terabytes? of white noise every day on the off chance
that they stumble across a private key at some point in the future.  If you're
really worried about the Chinese MSS doing this then use a PFS cipher suite
(which Tor does anyway, so you're safe by default) but for anyone else, there
are about a thousand bigger issues to worry about.

Peter.