[SSL Observatory] Duplicate private keys

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Apr 4 22:27:06 PDT 2011

Peter Eckersley <pde at eff.org> writes:

> SELECT `Subject Public Key Info:RSA Public Key:Exponent`,

Some comments on the code that may have produced these:

> |  17 (0x11)                                      |   23692 |

Probably from PGP 2.x-derived code, which hardcoded 17 as the exponent.

> |  35 (0x23)                                      |      46 |

OpenSSH bug (or at least "quirk").

> | NULL                                            |      10 |

Dunno, Microsoft? :-).

> [16- and 32-bit values]

I've seen software from Europe, Germany I think, that does random 32-bit
exponents.  As Terry Pratchett would say, "another sure sign that someone's
wearing their underpants on their head".

Peter.