[National-fiber-coalition] Next steps, big tent letter

Ernesto Falcon ernesto at eff.org
Fri May 21 10:13:47 PDT 2021

Just to recap for folks that weren’t on the call today.

Fiber Broadband Association is working on a big tent letter that we need to counter the cable blitz on what should be in an infrastructure program. Once it reaches draft language that we have critical mass on we will need to circulate it as widely as possible. I’ll be reaching out to folks for feedback along with Kim Bayliss with FBA next week. The idea behind it is to isolate cable on the Hill in their position on what should an infrastructure program do to show a lot of consensus from the broadband ecosystem on the other side.

I think the House GOP’s “cable leadership” (literally written into the legislation) is a good framework to know what they are articulating as the future. No support if you have 25/3 mbps, build to 100/20 mbps services, and a very small amount funding compared to the national need. This looks a lot like what I have seen from cable in California against our fiber bill.

https://republicans-energycommerce.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/SLW_1107_xml.pdf