[National-fiber-coalition] Sign on letter urging Congress to fully fund 21st century broadband for all

Ernesto Falcon ernesto at eff.org
Fri Jun 11 17:10:49 PDT 2021

Hello,

There is a heated debate in Washington D.C. over what Congress should do about the digital divide.

Both President Biden and Members of Congress have proposed programs that would tackle the challenge at the same size and scale as rural electrification, but they are facing a mountain of opposition from certain Internet Service Providers that offer slow and expensive services. These companies are arguing that people do not need more than 25/3 mbps (the 2015 federal definition of broadband), that the government should not directly invest in expanding fiber infrastructure to all, and that there is no real affordability problem in accessing internet services today.

These voices are starting to gain traction because they are well represented by a field of lobbyists, but comparatively they are a small part of the national conversation over broadband access. However, we must prove that to Congress by coming together with a clear message. And we must do so soon given that major decisions on infrastructure policy are happening this month.

Please review the following sign on letter (attached) that makes it clear that we want Congress to go bold and truly commit to ending the digital divide with its infrastructure efforts this year. We can show Congress that people from all across this country want them to ignore the subset of industry that is demanding that they think small and do little.

Please feel free to reach out to Ernesto Falcon (ernesto at eff.org<mailto:ernesto at eff.org>) or Kim Bayliss (kim.bayliss at perrybayliss.com<mailto:kim.bayliss at perrybayliss.com>) if you have any questions about the letter.

Sign on link
https://forms.gle/vTPSdiDmhP1R6BNj9