[National-fiber-coalition] My take on these provisions

Michael Romano mromano at ntca.org
Wed Jul 28 17:33:29 PDT 2021

On Ernesto’s points -

It’s hard to see them running out of $40B before they get through all of the 25/3 areas so they should get to 100/20 – but you’re right in that stopping at 100/20, this will likely push buildout into WISP/DSL areas and many cable areas could be left untouched.  At the same time, in rural areas at least, cable networks are typically only in the small towns – so I wouldn’t be shocked to see them still face some competitive pressures if someone is literally building a fiber network all around the town with federal funding. Heck, people will likely build into the town on their own at that point to pick up scale, and the 80% unserved metric may facilitate that even more.  So I suspect where this protects 100/20 networks is probably more in urban and suburban areas, and this still will create at least indirect competitive pressure in rural towns.

The text on what networks should be prioritized for funding is probably as good as one could have hoped for once we knew it was going to get watered down.  But the effectiveness of the language really will turn ultimately on what NTIA and states choose to do with it – there’s a lot of wiggle room to weigh heavily in favor of fiber and scalable networks.  But as we saw in RDOF, some will claim they can do ANYTHING with other technologies too to wedge themselves into a priority class if the agency lets them.  So, to your “good enforcer” point below, how effective the priorities in this text are really will depend in the end on NTIA and the states using this language to its fullest potential vs allowing it to be turned into RDOF Redux because technological neutrality.

As for Angie’s point, I agree – these are changes on the margins of mapping timing.  They speed up challenges slightly and give people a “start your engines” notice on mapping.  Frankly, given supply chain concerns, I don’t think it’s the worst thing in the world for this $ to get stacked behind the new maps.  If you ordered fiber tonight, unless you’re a big buyer, you wouldn’t get it until sometime in the fall of 2022 anyway – just in time for the first frost in many northern states to preclude construction until spring 2023 . . . the fiber marketplace needs time itself to ramp for this and catch back up on the backlog already in place.