[National-fiber-coalition] My take on these provisions

Angie Kronenberg akronenberg at incompas.org
Wed Jul 28 17:25:03 PDT 2021

The last mile grants (and amounts for each state) are still dependent on the FCC completing its maps, and there are changes to the mapping requirements that indicate it is expediting FCC mapping process, but I don't believe they will really speed up the process.  But I'm curious if others agree with this assessment.

Here are those changes-
(E) Expediting broadband data collection activities.-
(i) Deadline for resolution of challenge process under broadband data act.-Section 802(b)(5)(C)(i) of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 642(b)(5)(C)(i)) is amended by striking "challenges" and inserting the following: "challenges, which shall require that the Commission resolve a challenge not later than 90 days after the date on which a final response by a provider to a challenge to the accuracy of a map or information described in subparagraph (A) is complete".
(ii) Paperwork reduction act exemption expansion.-Section 806(b) of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 646(b)) is amended by striking "the initial rule making required under section 802(a)(1)" and inserting "any rule making or other action by the Commission required under this title".
(iii) Implementation.-The Commission shall implement the amendments made by this subparagraph as soon as possible after the date of enactment of this Act.

There's also this language about the maps but it's not clear to me that it really changes the current trajectory of the FCC's mapping process:

SEC. __003. BROADBAND DATA MAPS.
(a) Definition.-In this section, the term "Commission" means the Federal Communications Commission.
(b) Provision of Information.-A broadband provider shall provide the Commission with any information, in the format, type, or specification requested by the Commission, necessary to augment the collection of data by the Commission under-
(1) title VIII of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 641 et seq.); or
(2) the Form 477 data collection program.
(c) Notice of Initial Broadband DATA Collection Filing Deadline.-The Commission-
(1) shall provide notice to broadband providers not later than 60 days before the initial deadline for submission of data under section 802(a)(1)(A) of the Communications Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 642(a)(1)(A)); and
(2) notwithstanding any prior decision of the Commission to the contrary, shall not be required to provide notice not later than 6 months before the initial deadline described in paragraph (1).

The middle mile grants still have language that allow FCC map, state map, or speed and usage surveys to be used. This may permit middle mile grants much faster than the last mile grants.

I also no longer see reasonable permitting fees as part of the last mile grant process, but middle mile still has some language that's likely helpful for those areas that have reasonable fees or waive them as part of process.

Angie Kronenberg
Chief Advocate and General Counsel
INCOMPAS
(301) 509-5398 (mobile)*
akronenberg at incompas.org<mailto:akronenberg at incompas.org>
*During the coronavirus pandemic, the INCOMPAS team is working from home.  As such, it's best to use my mobile number to reach me by phone.  Thank you!
[1614956254405]