[Manila Principles] Manila Principles & Broadband Commission VAWG report

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Tue Sep 29 10:19:12 PDT 2015

On 29/09/2015 1:06 am, gabrielle at article19.org wrote:
> ARTICLE 19 has been in touch with UNESCO to flag our concerns
> regarding the implications of the report for intermediary liability
> (despite the fact that the Manila Principles are cited in the report
> at page 26). The recommendation for government bodies to use their
> licensing prerogative to ensure that "only those telecoms and search
> engines are allowed to connect with the public that supervise content
> and its dissemination" is particularly problematic (see page 48):
> http://broadbandcommission.org/Documents/reports/bb-wg-gender-report2015.pdf
>

> We've also suggested to UNESCO a joint event on 'gender-based hatred'.
>
> Happy to discuss this further.

It's a concern.  I'm thinking of drafting an op ed back to the WaPo,
distancing ourselves from those recommendations while acknowledging the
importance of the issue, in response to this report on the Broadband
Commission paper:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/09/24/the-united-nations-has-a-radical-dangerous-vision-for-the-future-of-the-web/

If the op ed seems feasible, I may be able to share it back here for
comments and endorsements.  If not, then at least we will do a blog post
and some tweets, and others should consider doing the same.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en