[Manila Principles] Concerns with GDPR over risk of censorship and conflict with Manila Principles

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Fri Nov 20 12:47:47 PST 2015

Dear Manila Principles supporters,

EFF has just published a blog post expressing our concerns with the
incompatibility of the current drafts of the EU General Data Protection
Regulation (GDPR) with the Manila Principles:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/11/unintended-consequences-european-style-how-new-eu-data-protection-regulation-will

In summary, our view is that the provisions which require restriction
and erasure of personal information supplied to Internet platforms by
third parties, would place too much responsibility on intermediaries
with too little due process, and that they fail to adequately consider
the freedom of expression interests of content providers.  This could
lead to "DMCA-like" censorship of information, using personal data
protection as a pretext.

The above post links to a short paper commenting from EFF and ARTICLE 19
that we are circulating to policymakers.  If you organisation shares our
concerns and would also like to endorse that paper, please let either of
us know and we will add your name to the paper when it is circulated.
As time is short, we would ask that you provide your endorsement within
72 hours if possible, or if not, let us know how much time you will need.

Thanks.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en