[Manila Principles] Manila Principles update - translations, background paper, IGFs, and more

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Wed Jun 3 17:03:40 PDT 2015

This is an update on what has been happening with the Manila Principles
on Intermediary Liability since our launch on 24 March.

*Website and background paper*

So far the website looks much the same as it did at launch, except that
the draft background paper has been revised to align with the final text
of the principles (it is accessible under the "Learn more" menu, and it
remains open for corrections if you should find any errors).

There are however some much more significant improvements to the website
in the works, which we hope to unveil by June 17.  These include
translations, "tooltip-style" definitions that you can read by hovering
over key words, improved styling and many more - if you are interested,
I can send you a complete list of changes.

If you haven't yet signed on to the principles, June 17 is a good date
to add to your calendar because once the website improvements are
online, we plan to significantly ramp up outreach efforts, beginning
with the a panel at the Asia-Pacific Regional IGF (APrIGF) - see below.

*Upcoming events*

Amongst the presentations of the Manila Principles that have already
been given at global meetings include Eduardo Bertoni's presentation
<http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/FreedomOpinion/Pages/CallForSubmission.aspx>
at the Freedom Online Coalition conference in Mongolia on 12 May, my
presentation at World Press Freedom Day in Latvia in the same week, and
just today Gabrielle Guillemin's presentation at EuroDIG in Bulgaria.  A
month from now I'll be presenting at APrIGF in Macau, following a
separate event that will be held in Seoul focusing on Korean
intermediary liability laws.

A Manila Principles workshop will also be held at the global IGF in
Brazil this year.  You can find the workshop page here:
http://intgovforum.org/cms/wks2015/index.php/proposal/view_public/242.
A tentative list of participants is already shown there, but this is
quite fluid so if you intend to be at the IGF, or you know someone who
will be, please let us know if you or they would be interested in
participating as part of the panel.

Outreach to intermediaries is also an important part of our work to
disseminate the principles, and this is just beginning, with one such
bilateral meeting having been held with Twitter so far.  If you are
interested in giving a presentation in your area, please be in touch for
some resources that we can provide including slides, stickers and
formatted or translated versions of the text.

*UN Special Rapporteur*

The newest UN Special Rapporteur on the right to freedom of opinion and
expression, David Kaye, has included a positive reference to the Manila
Principles in his latest report, which is available at
http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/RegularSessions/Session29/Documents/A.HRC.29.32_AEV.doc.
EFF wrote a short blog post about this (not focusing on the Manila
Principles, but mentioning them) at
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/06/un-special-rapporteur-calls-upon-states-protect-encryption-and-anonymity-online.

*Translations*

As mentioned above, so far we have several translations of the text in
preparation.  Versions in Arabic, Chinese, French and Korean are already
compelte, with Spanish, Portuguese and Russian also on the way.  For
some of these languages the FAQ page and some pop-up definitions will
also be translated.  For others, we are still looking for volunteers to
translate those parts, so please be in touch if you can help with that.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst

Tel: 415.436.9333 <tel:415.436.9333> ext 161