[Manila Principles] Social networks must help stamp out promotion of violence: France

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Mon Jan 26 16:43:05 PST 2015

On Jan 24, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Rebecca MacKinnon <rebecca.mackinnon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would suggest that groups like this one might consider using the opportunity of the Manila meeting to formulate clear responses to this before the intermediary liability situation in the world quickly gets much worse.
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/22/us-france-security-internet-idUSKBN0KV2EK20150122 <http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/22/us-france-security-internet-idUSKBN0KV2EK20150122>

Indeed, thanks we will definitely work this into the schedule - anyone who would like to volunteer to help lead such a session, please be in touch.  In any case the release of the Manila Principles themselves will be well timed as a response to these frightening moves, and the release of your "Fostering Freedom Online" report has been similarly well timed, even if by coincidence.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt

Fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en