[Manila Principles] Web site mockup

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Tue Jan 20 12:56:07 PST 2015

On 20/01/2015 11:20 am, Chris Zielinski wrote:

> Some thoughts on this mock-up, Jeremy,
>
> 1. The main subject is "intermediate liability", not the random fact
> that they are being launched in the city of Manila. As such, the words
> "Intermediate Liability" should be at least the same size as "Manila
> Principles" - the whole heading should be the same type size.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll check with the designer about this. The
rationale for doing it this way originally was that "intermediary
liability" is a mouthful, not very distinctive to form the main part of
the title, and is also jargon, so the main part of the title was to be a
more memorable shorthand (equivalent to "Geneva Conventions" expanding
to include "Geneva Convention for the Amelioration of the Condition of
the Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces in the Field").

> 2. "Intermediate Liability" should be defined asap - perhaps with a
> short expansion of the term right under the title, and then a longer
> one in the introduction. This is what we currently have in version 0.9

Right under the title will be the first sentence of the introduction,
which currently reads "All communication over the Internet is
facilitated by intermediaries such as Internet access providers, social
networks, and search engines."  That gets us half way towards what you
are asking for.  Liability is not defined until a bit later in the
introduction, but I've made a notation based on your comment that we
could try to find a way of moving it up so that a complete definition of
"intermediary liability" is found earlier.

> 3. There should be a "shortest form" of the principles - the text
> could start with the six current principles, each listed as a heading
> only. This list could function as a table of contents, linked to the
> expansion in the full text of the principles beneath.

That is indeed how it will be.  When you load the page, you just see
ONLY the headings.  Then there are two levels of expansion - first it
drops down the bullet points when you click the down-arrow icon below
the heading, and then underneath those bullets will be a "Read more"
link which goes to the relevant part of the background paper.

> 4. Otherwise, I like the design and style.

Thanks!  The text remains open for comments and revision until (in the
first instance) 15 February (and thereafter there will be further time
to comment on the next draft).

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt
Fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en