[Manila Principles] Manila Principles draft 0.96 released

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Fri Feb 20 17:10:59 PST 2015

Please find attached a new draft, 0.96, of the Manila Principles, for
your further comment. For now, to keep things manageable and to ensure
that comments are reviewed widely, we are asking that you provide your
further comments via this list (but if you do want to be able to comment
on a Google Docs version, let us know).

Most of the small changes have simply been accepted because nobody had
objected to them, and they seem objectively reasonable and consistent
with the rest of the document. These are not all listed here, but there
is a record of them in comparing the marked up text of version 0.9 which
remains online. A couple of the more notable examples only include:

  *

    It was pointed out that we should be careful to avoid allowing
    intermediaries to restrict content based on their own terms of
    service without clearly differentiating between access providers who
    are mere conduits, and content hosts. In the new text of principle
    I(d) the ability to restrict content based on terms of service is
    limited to hosts.

  *

    It was suggested that we propose that new intermediary liability
    rules should require renewal after a five year period, following an
    impact assessment—you can see this text at the very end of the document.

A few of the more extensive changes, although not objectionable in
themselves, would increase the length and complexity of the principles
noticeably, and so for some of these, the suggestion is made that rather
than being included in the principles, they be included in the part of
the background paper that is linked to the principles. These include:

  *

    The introductory paragraph, “The networks that constitute the
    Internet are able to interoperate thanks to an architecture that
    requires intermediaries to exchange information automatically,
    without discriminating between different messages. Every regulatory
    burden on intermediaries increases their costs, making the Internet
    less accessible to poor people in industrialized countries and most
    people in the developing world.” Also, someone commented that having
    this paragraph appear so prominently in the principles seems to be
    giving undue deference to the limitation of regulatory burdens on
    intermediaries.

  *

    The comment, “There is a trend towards finding the intermediary was
    actually the primary actor (see eg the cases of Optus TV Now in
    Australia; Aereo in the US), making any intermediary protections
    moot in those cases. Should we have a principle addressing the
    trend?” Rather than having a principle addressing this, we do
    address it in the background paper, and can ensure that we do so
    more thoroughly as we revise it.

  *

    The comment, “Shouldn't we come up with proposed standardized
    content restriction policies?” This is a good idea! But it exceeds
    the scope of this part of the project.

  *

    A reference was made to the OTI report on transparency reports at
    http://oti.newamerica.net/blogposts/2014/this_week_transparency_reporting_for_beginners_in_san_francisco_and_austin-104618,
    which we will ensure we integrate into the background paper.

  *

    The suggestion was given to define “least restrictive technical
    means”. This too is something that can probably be best done in the
    background paper.

Some changes that people had suggested were disputed by others, and a
judgment call has had to be made about whether to include these or not.
Of course, that judgment remains open for discussion by the broader
group. These include:

  *

    In “Any rules governing intermediary liability must be laid down in
    statute, which must be relevant, accessible, unambiguous and meet
    other human rights standards”, there was a fairly extensive
    discussion about the inclusion of “other”, with one person proposing
    the addition, but two others opposing it. We are proposing to omit it.

  *

    Whether search engines are intermediaries. We are proposing that
    they are, in line with the UNESCO report and other documents that we
    have cited in the background paper.

  *

    Whether we should talk about counter-notice processes. This
    implicitly acknowledges that the legitimacy of a regime that allows
    content to be removed on the mere issuance of a notice. So the
    current draft does not talk about a “counter-notice” process in
    those terms, but does talk about the need for mechanisms of appeal
    (against content restriction orders) and review (against terms of
    service removals).

Some parts of the text were generally controversial, but a specific
replacement text was not agreed. These include the following:

  *

    That “intermediaries should be allowed to charge for the time and
    expense associated with processing legal requests issued by private
    parties”, to which we have added, “on a cost recovery basis”. In my
    own personal opinion, this is a paragraph that could be deleted if
    it continues to be too controversial, because it is not a core
    point. What do others think?

  *

    What should we say—if anything—about penalties against
    intermediaries being “proportionate”. The current text reads,
    “Penalties imposed by governments, and damages awarded to
    complainants or content providers, against intermediaries for any
    act or omission related to third-party content restriction must be
    reasonable and proportionate, and in particular criminal liability
    must not be imposed.” Again, perhaps, if this paragraph remains
    controversial, we could just delete it.

There was division about whether to divide the principles into two
sections or not. Different opinions have been expressed on this, with
Prof K S Park making the case against dividing it. We therefore no
longer have a rough consensus to split the document. So for now, we have
returned the document to a single list of principles. But to make it
easier to see how the principles are applied in particular liability
regimes, we will write a new non-normative FAQ to accompany the
principles. This is the current proposal, but it can be further discussed.

Finally, there are some more philosophical differences that have
emerged, which we have to make a collective judgment about. These
include some areas on which there is unlikely to be a full consensus at
the end of the day, but we have to aim to achieve the broadest consensus
that we can:

  *

    The concept of a “judicial or equivalent order”. Some expressed
    reluctance to settle for anything other than a court order, whereas
    others point out (per Rishabh Dara) that "we also need to recognise
    the need for an institutionalised redressal mechanism that is cheap
    and fast for the genuinely aggrieved.” The text as now presented to
    require a judicial order only, as an ideal principle.  But this
    remains open for discussion, and at a minimum, we will acknowledge
    in the background paper that there may be practical difficulties in
    reaching this aspirational level and that the use of an independent
    administrative process may be the only pragmatic alternative in some
    cases.

  *

    There is a division between those who think that intermediaries
    should never be able to manage content on their networks without
    oversight from a public authority, and those who think that they
    should be able to. For example, Martin Husovec wrote “I come back to
    my comments on the background paper, there you also mention ToS
    based take-downs; does this mean that you suggest that if copyright
    violations are prohibited, that its OK to go without the court
    decision, as long as transparency, etc. is warranted?” As it stands,
    the principles do indeed allow an intermediary to act on their own
    terms of service, provided that they comply with requirements of
    transparency, accountability and procedural fairness.

  *

    Conversely, some have the view that the principles are actually too
    limiting of intermediaries acting without a court order, and suggest
    that we should not be so stringent in requiring that. So for example
    the case was made by the Web conference Annemarie Bridy said that
    notice and takedown remained appropriate in some cases. In its
    current format, we are strongly against notice and takedown, in
    favour of notice and notice, or notice and judicial takedown. So
    this is also a point of contention. Have we struck the right balance?

  *

    The suggestion to add “Intermediary liability policies should be
    created only after evidence based processes have demonstrated
    widespread persistent harms that cannot be effectively addressed in
    other ways in the specific jurisdiction in which the policies will
    be developed. ” conflicts with our starting point that there should
    be a default policy excluding intermediaries from liability for
    third-party content. One comment was “not sure about this”, so this
    text has not been integrated, until a better case can be made for it.

  *

    On the paragraph “Governments must not impose an obligation on
    intermediaries to maintain the ability to de-anonymize users or
    identify past user activities, such as by logging information
    necessary for such purposes”, it was commented that disclosure of
    user identity can be required by the human rights of victims. Do we
    want to avoid talking about data retention in this document? Perhaps
    this is another point that is less core to the document, that we
    could take out if it is causing too much division.

I hope you find this commentary useful. This summary does not explain
how each and every comment was taken into account, so if you submitted a
comment and cannot easily see how or whether it is reflected in the new
draft, please write to us for clarification.  Note that the background
paper has not yet been updated to accord with the changes to the principles.

A final note: registration for the Manila Principles meeting closes on
22 February, which is this Sunday.  If you haven't registered, please do
so now!  You can do so using this form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fP8G1H1xCK0jxkSetI1QtQ7SiCtP508N2xrhwf6RXp0/viewform

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en