[Manila Principles] Seeking your inputs on proposal to restructure the document

Rebecca MacKinnon rebecca.mackinnon at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 08:45:45 PST 2015

Hi there Eduardo,

Thanks for bringing up the UNESCO report on Internet intermediaries and
freedom of expression, and its recommendations.

First, as I think the introductory disclaimers from UNESCO at the beginning
of the report make clear, the report's recommendations are not official
UNESCO policy but rather reflect the views of the people involved with
writing, researching, and advising the report.

Second, the recommendations in the UNESCO report are much much broader than
intermediary liability. The recommendations address how a) intermediaries
themselves, through their own actions, can foster freedom of expression and
b) how governments can enable intermediaries to foster freedom of
expression. Limiting liability is part of that. But beyond saying that
limited liability enables companies to foster freedom of freedom of
expression, and that policymaking and legislation should be compatible with
human rights principles, and that all stakeholders should be involved with
said policymaking and legislative drafting, it doesn't get into the details
of what an ideal intermediary liability legal framework should look like.
The Manila principles therefore have the potential to do something that the
UNESCO recommendations do not. While I've been too swamped lately to go
through all the documents being discussed on this list, in cursory skimming
I haven't discerned conflicts between what we recommended in the UNESCO
report and what is being recommended by the Manila principles. Also, the
Manila principles represent a much broader participatory process than the
UNESCO report, which was more of a classic editorial process.

However if you think there are areas that need to be reconciled or are in
conflict in some way, I will be in Manila for the second day (Monday) and
happy to discuss. In fact, I believe there are plans to hold a session
about the UNESCO report. If the organizers see fit to schedule it for
Monday, I'm happy to be part of that discussion.

Best,
Rebecca

Rebecca MacKinnon
Director, Ranking Digital Rights <http://rankingdigitalrights.org/> @ New