[Manila Principles] Seeking your inputs on proposal to restructure the document

Jyoti Panday jyoti at cis-india.org
Mon Feb 9 21:19:11 PST 2015

Dear All,

Thank you to all of you who have taken out the time to comment
and provide your feedback on the principles.

On behalf of the steering committee of the Manila Principles project, I
am writing to you update you on our discussions on the way forward
following the end of the comment period on 15th February
2015.

As we have highlighted earlier, the Manila Principles will be a best
practices framework and set of baseline safeguards for regulators and
intermediaries to consider when developing, adopting, and reviewing
legislation, policies and practices that extend liability to
intermediaries for online third party content.

One of the issues that has come up in the preliminary feedback, is
that the Manila Principles are aiming to be both a best practices
document and create a set of cross cutting principles. As some of you
have pointed out this does not provide guidance on what kind of
intermediary liability regime should be adopted under certain circumstances.

are currently deliberating a proposal of splitting the document between
principles and best practices.

We have attached a PDF of the working draft in this email illustrating
the proposed split. Please note that the attached document is not a
final version and there are many comments from the consultation that are
yet to be integrated. The purpose of circulating this version is to seek
input on structuring the recommendations and the proposed split between
the principles and the best practices.

We would be very grateful if you could provide your feedback and
comments on this proposed structure.

Many thanks, and we look forward to working with you as we jointly
develop and launch the Manila Principles on Intermediary Liability.

Sincerely,

Jyoti Panday