[HTTPS-Everywhere] Initial Review of Issues and Pull Requests

Maxim Nazarenko nz.phone at mail.ru
Wed Feb 28 17:01:37 PST 2018

Hello all!

As suggested, I am starting a discussion on the mailing list :)

Issue: new rulesets are untested and therefore likely to break websites.

Proposed solution: let volunteers test new rulesets before declaring
them stable and delivering them to GA

Proposed flow for a new ruleset:
    i) Do some basic sanity checks and merge it into master asap,
_clearly marking it as unstable_, a new attribute in <ruleset> tag
will do nicely
    ii) Release unstable ruleset to volunteers asap
    iii) Wait for reaction. If everything is good -- declare a ruleset
stable and mark it as such. Deliver it to GA

Expected results: New rulelsets are released volunteers for testing.
Testers are expected to know how to disable bad rulesets and report
issues.

Technical changes:
    i) Update build script to include unstable rulesets only in
nightly builds and clearly mark unstable rulesets -- this is actually
the easiest part, I can do a pull request for it
    ii) Setup nightly/per commit builds and delivery.

Possible blocker: Release Firefox requires all add-ons to be signed.

TBD: When is a ruleset considered stable?

Waiting for comments/suggestions. Thank you!

Best regards,
Maxim Nazarenko