[HTTPS-Everywhere] new ruleset style guide is less secure

sjw at gmx.ch sjw at gmx.ch
Mon Mar 23 16:48:55 PDT 2015

Hi all

I'm not very happy with the new ruleset style guide.

Before, It was easy to made rule like *.secure.example => https. Now I
would have to write a bulk of test for that.
But when I follow the guide and create foo.secure.example and
bar.secure.example I'm not protected if an attacker creates a new
subdomain  evil.secure.example. With wildcard rules I would get a cert
failure, but with the new style guide the client would connect to this
side over http. (See also HSTS includeSubdomains)

So the new style guide makes it more complicated to write secure rules.

Another point are bad servers, that have only a valid cert for the www
prefix. Sadly, that's a very common case. Before it was easy to rewrite
to www, but now I have to write a test for each redirect. I think this
overkill is not planned to be the goal of the ruleset tests.

regards,
Jonas