[HTTPS-Everywhere] “Block all HTTP requests” and onion services

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Mon Jul 6 15:35:56 PDT 2015

On 2015-07-06 10:39, Jacob Hoffman-Andrews wrote:

> Ideally onion services would use HTTPS since the security guarantees of
> .onion are lower than modern HTTPS standards. However, I think for many
> onion services, getting a CA-validated certificate is not an option.
>
> I would accept a pull request to allow .onion addresses when "Block all
> HTTP requests" is enabled. But please make sure it only allows them when
> using Tor. It's an edge case, but someone with compromised DNS could be
> convinced that a .onion name exists on the cleartext Internet and
> convinced to visit it in spite of the block.

How would one verify that the user is "using Tor"?

Tor doesn't necessarily happen as part of the browser or even local
machine and anyone in a position to MITM enough to fake a .onion TLD
could probably mimic whatever test you use to verify whether Tor is
active (or otherwise proxy everything through to Tor proper, except for
whatever evil they're doing)

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/