[HTTPS-Everywhere] repository for just the rulesets?

Andrew Gwozdziewycz web at apgwoz.com
Fri Jan 30 08:17:58 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 3:18 AM, Claudio Moretti <flyingstar16 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> no, there isn't, but once you've downloaded the sourcecode from github you
> can make one :)

This is what I'm currently doing, but it means that my project needs
to track a sub directory of the plugin, which isn't ideal, and isnt'
possible directly in git (as far as I'm aware).

> (Without knowing the scope of your project I don't know if this is
> acceptable...)

Currently, it's just a prototype, but I'm building a small proxy which
runs on localhost, which will perform an HTTPS "upgrade" (like HTTPS
everywhere does) for web requests which aren't utilizing a browser
with HTTPS Everywhere support.

As an example of it's use:

[apg at amend heproxy]$ ./heproxy
2015/01/30 11:11:25 action=rewrite from="http://eff.org/" to="https://eff.org/"

[apg at amend heproxy]$ curl --proxy http://localhost:8080 http://eff.org

heproxy[0] is really in the nascent stages -- I've spent about 4 hours
total on it, but it's looking pretty promising already.

https://github.com/apg/heproxy

Ideally, this sort of functionality could be included in something
like privoxy[1], using the same ruleset files that are maintained in
the HTTPS Everywhere project. Of course, for this to happen, I think
it'd be ideal if the rulesets were actually a separate project.

> The alternative is to somehow obtain the list of XML files from github and
> then build the 'raw' link from which curl and whet can download.

There are many ways to hack around what exists currently, for sure. My
project is small enough that a big ole `git pull && cp -a
/path/to/rulesets /path/to/heproxy/rulesets && git commit -a && git
push` will work just fine. This is just a gentle nudge to point out
that the rulesets themselves are pretty generally useful. :)

Thanks, btw, for HTTPS Everywhere. It's great.

Andrew

[0]: https://github.com/apg/heproxy
[1]: http://www.privoxy.org/