[HTTPS-Everywhere] browser side failure correction and failed ruleset test

Jacob Hoffman-Andrews jsha at eff.org
Sun Feb 15 10:17:49 PST 2015

On 02/15/2015 08:25 AM, sjw at gmx.ch wrote:
> But the browser ties to reconnect using 'www.host.TLD'. Should we let
> the browser do this redirect itself (and redirect again to https) or
> should we overwrite this redirect and directly connect to 'https://www.'?
If a target host doesn't answer on port 80, or the name doesn't exist,
we shouldn't include it in the ruleset. We don't expect that there will
be links on the web to the nonexistent host, so we don't lose much in
terms of ability to rewrite URLs.
> Another problem that I found are incomplete certificate chains. The
> browser correct them with an extra download, but
> https-everywhere-checker returns:  60, 'SSL certificate problem: unable
> to get local issuer certificate'
>
> This should return a warning instead of an error.
Good point! I think we are also missing some of the most current
certificates from Firefox, which I plan to update:
https://support.google.com/dfp_sb/answer/2524536?hl=en. If we still have
issues after updating those, we may want to install the transitive
closure of those certificates, from the SSL Observatory.