[HTTPS-Everywhere] Help needed: Disabling 3,080 rulesets

Jacob Hoffman-Andrews jsha at eff.org
Tue Feb 10 17:24:36 PST 2015

Hi all,

Using hiviah's https-everywhere-checker, I've found 3,080 rules that
fail in various ways, and automatically disabled them:
https://github.com/EFForg/https-everywhere/pull/1036.

I'm in the process of spot-checking these for systemic errors, but so
far they seem reasonably accurate. Tomorrow I'll merge this branch to
master.

Here's where I need your help: A lot of the rulesets I'm disabling are
fairly important ones. The link above has a list of the ones that match
the Alexa top 1k. I'd like your help choosing the most important
rulesets, fixing their issues, and submitting pull requests or patches.
Note that this will typically also require adding sufficient test URLs
to bring these rules up to the minimum test coverage guidelines
(https://github.com/EFForg/https-everywhere/blob/master/ruleset-testing.md).

In order to avoid duplicating work, please check for pull requests
(https://github.com/EFForg/https-everywhere/pulls) and issues
(https://github.com/EFForg/https-everywhere/issues) before you start
work on fixing a ruleset. If you're working on fixing a ruleset and
expect it to take more than a few minutes, please file an issue and
indicate you are working on it.

Please *do not* file issues for disabled rulesets unless you are
planning to work on them.

Please title all issues and pull requests 'Fix ruleset <filename>.xml'.

Assuming we get some of the most important rulesets fixed, my plan is to
put out a development release next week containing these changes.

Thanks very much,
Jacob