[HTTPS-Everywhere] Mozilla moving to new WebExtensions API

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Sat Aug 22 12:26:15 PDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 12:21:11PM -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 09:52:38PM -0700, Jacob Hoffman-Andrews wrote:
>
> > We should try implementing HTTPS Everywhere using the new API, to see if
> > it is possible. Probably starting from the Chromium code rather than the
> > existing Firefox code makes the most sense.
>
> It might also be useful to examine the new Safari "ad blocking" API,
> to see if it is adequate for what HTTPS-Everywhere does. If so, that's
> another conversation to have with Mozilla.

Hm, that wasn't explained very well. I mean that the Safari approach
is a new way to do blocklists where most of the work is moved into the
browser. One privacy benefit is that the extension that inserts the
blocklist no longer observes what the user actually does.

Maybe a similar approach for URL transformations is a good idea?

-- greg