[HTTPS-Everywhere] Design Question for companies with multiple websites

Jacob Hoffman-Andrews jsha at eff.org
Fri Apr 3 10:40:20 PDT 2015

We don't have any official guidelines for that yet, and the behavior
varies a lot.

Things to consider:
 - If all domains are operated by the same company, they are likely to
all support HTTPS or not in similar ways, which favors combining them.
 - If one domain breaks, are the others likely to break too? Putting
them all in one rule lets users disable them all in one click.
 - If one domain fails the ruleset checker, the whole ruleset will be
disabled until that domain is fixed. But this might be desired behavior.
 - We discourage having the same target host across multiple rulesets,
so if the content-cdn is shared, that favors either combining all into
one ruleset, or giving the content-cdn its own ruleset.

I'm interested in feedback from other ruleset authors on this: What
factors do you weigh when deciding to combine or separate related rulesets?

Thanks,
Jacob