[HTTPS-Everywhere] When to move rules to stable branch?

Claudio Moretti flyingstar16 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 13:27:34 PDT 2014

My 2c: as far as I remember, rules are pushed into stable when one of the
EFF developers (with commit rights on the main repo) has time to review
them.

There probably is a similar discussion in the list's archive, but the main
reasoning behind this was, also as far as I can remember, that reviewing a
rule is not as easy as it looks like. There are certain websites that
mostly work but have a few pages that fail (epically) and, in the users'
best interests, manual verification was required.

Now, there was talk about writing a testing suite for rulesets, to allow
automatic verification, but nobody had the time to do it... If you can,
you're welcome to try :)

Also, I did write (a while back) a small Python script that compares the
Alexa top 1M with our development branch and spits out the rules not yet
merged in stable that match websites in the list. However, this can only
give you priority on which rules to check first... Imagine if we
automatically merged a broken rule for Google...

/scary thoughts

Anyway, if you can support on the testing suite you'd make a lot of people
in this list very, very happy!

Cheers,

Claudio